Dear Sixth Avenue Families:
My name is Antonia Lopez and I am the family liaison at Sixth Avenue Elementary. I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you and your student to our school. As a mother of two children who attend Aurora Public Schools, I understand the importance of having a good communication with the families; my goal is to help support the learning environment and to communicate to families what is happening at our school.
I work together with parents, teachers, and administrators to support students and their families in setting goals, planning strategies, and arranging resources that will help students to be successful in school, at home, and their environment. As the school family liaison, I offer the following services to Sixth Avenue families:
- Welcome families to Sixth Avenue Elementary and try to make them feel at home.
- Build a sense of community among students, parents, teachers, and administrators.
- Advocate for Sixth Avenue Families to insure that their needs are met.
- Coordinate parenting classes, parent coffees, PTO meetings, and SAAC meetings.
- Do outreach for the Sixth Avenue families through home visits and phone calls.
- Interpreter for Spanish families.
- Translation of written information.
- Provide resources for families and their students including resources for clothing, food, shelter, school supplies, and resources for low or no cost doctor visits.
- Scheduled meeting times available for parents to meet with teachers and discuss their children’s academic concerns.
Parents are partners in a child’s education. I believe parent involvement in school activities has a significant impact on student achievement. You as parents are an integral part of the success of Sixth Avenue School. There are many opportunities to get involved; become a volunteer in our library, join the PTO board, join the school advisory committee (SAAC), or volunteer your time to support a teacher in class rooms. Your input as parents will help to continuously improve our school. Together we can make a difference!
If you have any questions or would like to meet with me, please feel free to contact me.
I am looking forward to meet you!
Sixth Avenue Family Liaison
303 366 6019, Ext 24024
CHPChild Health Plan Pluswww.CHPplus.org600 17 th Street, suite 710 in Denver1-800- 359-1991
Aurora Mental Health Centerwww.aumhc.org303-617-2300
Family Support Line303- 695-7996www.familiesFirstColorado.org
Juvenile Assessment CenterHelp with issues such as anger management, health and medical services, family services and many more.www.jac18.org720-874-3381
The McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance303 982 1144
Childcare Assistance program303 604 1043 X2953
Rent Assistance (Motel)Denver Human Services (eviction assistance)720. 944. 2170
Aurora Interchurch303 360 0260
DENUM303 355 4896
Salvation Army Family Services303. 295. 3366
Samaritan House303 294 0241
Clothing AssistanceAurora Interchurch303 360 0260
Denver Rescue Mission303 313 2443
Volunteers of America303 295 2165
Food BanksEpworth Church303 296 6287
Food Bank of the Rockieswww.foodbankrockies.org
Salvation Army Holiday Assistance303 861 4833
*More Family Resources are available; please contact Antonia Lopez at 303 366 6019, ext 24024